Configuring Interactive Brokers
Tradecision supports real-time streaming quotes from Interactive Brokers TWS.
To use Interactive Brokers data with Tradecision Data Manager you need to:
Configuring Interactive Brokers in the Data Manager
- Download and install TWS API and then restart your computer (required to register TWS API ActiveX components).
- Run web-based TWS or download standalone TWS.
- In TWS, you need to select Configure > API > Enable Active X and Socket clients.
Selecting Interactive Brokers preferences
- Launch the Trader Workstation (4.0 or greater)
- Open the Tradecision's Data Manager.
- To receive market data for a particular symbol, you need to add the symbol in the Data Manager using the Symbol menu > Add New or just click the Add New button on the toolbar of the Data Manager. In the symbol properties (Add New Symbol dialog box) you need to select Interactive Brokers as Data source for the symbol. For this click Change button in the Data Source sub-group and then select Interactive Brokers.
Note: you can use "Save as default" button in order to use the same symbol properties for the symbols you will create in the future.
- Make sure that a symbol's Exchange is the same as in TWS. Otherwise the symbol won't receive data from Interactive Brokers.
- When a symbol is added and the screen displays no errors, all data for this symbol can now be easily downloaded and stored inside of the Data Manager. In order to receive and chart the data you need to click the Update button.
- IB (TWS) does not allow receiving historical data. The Data Manager gathers price information in real-time. That is why it is very important for the Data Manager to be active as long as possible. The more time the Data Manager and TWS work together, the larger amount of price data the Data Manager will be able to collect.
- Streaming Mode. To start receiving data in streaming mode, select a symbol in the Symbol List of the Data Manager, right click it and select Start Streaming command.
- Futures symbols. When working with futures it is often required to indicate the Expiration Date. It can be done in the Data Source dialog box of a particular symbol. For this in the Add New Symbol dialog box click Change button near to the Data source. In the Data Source dialog box select Interactive Brokers and indicate an Expiration Date in the YYYYMM format.
- Exchange. Presumably the exchange you need is not included in the Exchange list of the Data Manager. In this case you can add it manually using Tools menu > Exchanges > Add button.
Please note: the exchange you use should contain a Session Time in order to receive market data.
To configure specific Interactive Brokers preferences:
- Open the Data Manager.
- Go to Tools menu.
- Click Preferences and select the Interactive Brokers tab.
In case if TWS is started from a local PC, you can leave the box empty. If TWS is located on a remove machine, you have to enter an IP address of this remote computer.
It should be the same as in TWS > Configure >API > Socket Port.
In case of access to TWS by several users simultaneously, they need a unique Client ID.
If a user is only one, a default setting can be used.
Selecting Autosave period
Note The Data Manager automatically collects and saves data from TWS in the cached price data custom format.
To indicate an autosave period for the cached price data, select a desired parameter in the Autosave period, min drop down box.
With the Interactive Brokers' messages dialog box you can analyze the IB messages on its activity.